Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The First day of Fall

I usually dread Fall. I have a feeling of panic and anxiety the entire season, while I feel like I should be enjoying myself.

Fall is beautiful. The leaves turn, the sky is bright blue, the weather is crisp, but not too cold. I can bring out cute sweaters and still wear flip flops. I envision myself running through fields of tall grass, taking hay rides (without sneezing), carving pumpkins, picking apples and making pie, decorating the front door with a home-made wreath, enjoying a roaring fire and drinking hot cider and red wine.
I love Halloween & Thanksgiving.
I got married in the Fall.




And yet...

There is always that nagging of what's to come.
The wintery cold and ice and grey. The short days. The feeling of never getting warm. The fireplace just sucks the heat out of the house. I go to work in the dark, and I get off of work in the dark. I slip on the ice. I shiver. I wish I were a bear, so I could just sleep the entire season away. I don't talk to my friends. I stay inside and watch crappy TV. Once the Spring comes, I feel like I'm just waking up. Where have I been? I have seasonal depression.

I don't feel that way this year. This year I am glad to be at the Autumn Equinox - to bid farewell to my favorite season of all. To eat my last ear of corn and my last peach of the summer. I know I have tomatoes from our garden made into sauce in the freezer, I have blueberries frozen and ready to be used for blueberry pancakes. I'm excited about Fall this year. I am worried I will miss it, but I'm happy for it to be here.

This Fall I will give birth to my daughter.


Photos by Lucas Allen via Creature Comforts

3 comments:

namoo said...

Can I tell you how beautiful you are? I can't wait to meet your baby who will be as beautiful as her mom.

XOXO

KaraB said...

And forever after, the coming of the Fall will be a reminder of the rebirth of your heart in the form of your precious angel. Much love to you in this season and always!

LoveLladro said...

I just love having a fall baby... and I can't wait to meet yours! Congrats on bringing her into the world today! Love and hugs!