Friday, September 12, 2008

Dear wedding dress diary,

So, I had my first dress fitting this week. It went well (which is relative...see below), I only needed a bustle. The alterations people exclaimed, "You didn't do too bad! Only $93." Great.

I didn't feel sexy.
I didn't feel glamorous.

I felt sweaty.
I felt like I couldn't move.
I felt like I had fat armpits...weird.
I felt like a cream-puff wedding cake topper.

Okay. Here's the break down. I love my dress. I saw it on the model in the catalog and fell in love. I bought the dress the first time I went shopping. I tried the dress on in the middle of 10 other dresses, and everyone oohed and ahhed (I have no idea how to spell that). I felt like a bride. Now, four months later, my idea of my wedding has drastically changed. I realized I wanted an indie wedding, to really reflect Nick and me. We are doing almost everything ourselves (minus the catering and DJ'ing). I realized I wanted a "green" wedding to reflect our environmental stance. I realized I wanted a Practical Wedding.

I have forgone The Knot. I have forgone the bridal magazines. I am totally addicted to wedding blogs. So, I have seen a TON of dresses since buying my dress. And I've realized I want something different. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I can't afford it. So, cremepuff-practically-slave-labor-created dress, it looks like we're stuck with each other.

4 comments:

KaraB said...

oh honey, that happened to me, too. I'm not going to invalidate (is that a word) your feelings. I feel that way about the living room furniture (OK, really bad comparison). How about going totally indie on the reception dress?

LoveLladro said...

Awww... I feel so bad! Is it too late to sell it on ebay and buy something else... or look for something else and sell it later?

Laura said...

If you hate it you should sell it and get another one. I loved my dress too when I first got it and everyone told me it was perfect but as I got closer to the date, I started to regret it because I had originally wanted a simple sleek dress. Do what feels right for you. It's once in a lifetime and you'll always look back at those pictures. But dont forget, you look AMAZING in that dress and the shoes! So no matter what it's going to be fabulous!

Anonymous said...

You are going to look amazing no matter what you wear! I love the dress you picked. But do whatever you feel like you should. This will be a day for you and Nick to look back all the time!